Re: Unacceptable slander by dclunie

>Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1993 09:34:53 -0600
>To: [email protected], [email protected] (Michael Brennan)
>From: [email protected] (Matthew Lyle)
>Subject: Re: Unacceptable slander by dclunie
>
>It is not appropriate for someone to post a 3600 line "junk" file to a
>mailing list.  UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!  (Think about those sites that are
>paying hard cash for e-mail transfers!)  It is reasonable for such actions
>to be reported to the administrator of a system.

I don't agree it was appropriate to notify the administrator. This could
all have been handled far more elegantly considering the circumstances.

>So far as getting off the cypherpunks list, there are a number of other things
>to try if cypherpunks-request isn't working.  Send mail to [email protected].
>Send mail to the administrative contact listed in the WHOIS database for
>toad.com (John Gilmore, in this case).  Talk to your local systems
>administrator and ask his assistance.  What ghabrech did is something I
>would expect from an immature freshman. (who knows... maybe he is one)

Thank you for this information. I will attempt these courses of action.
Perhaps if someone had attempted to offer helpful information from the
outset, this problem never would have reached this level. Instead certain
individuals chose to post arrogant promises of "retribution" against
others, rather than trying to be constructive in this.

>Retaliatory strikes aren't right either, of course.

I agree wholeheartedly, and I am glad this discourse now finally seems to
be moving onto a level-headed and constructive level. I appeal to all of
the cypherpunks to keep it this way! Let's figure what's going wrong here
and resolve the situation instead of playing one-upmanship with mail bombs
and threats of "dirty tricks".
-----
Michael Brennan      - [email protected]