REMAIL: sendmail.cf problems

     I am working on a new project on 386BSD with pseudonymous user ID's.
What I want to do is use a rule in the /etc/sendmail.cf file to make
all messages to "anon.###" be processed by the anonymous contact service
and everything else to be processed as local mail.  I added the following
lines to my configuration file and made a new frozen config file, but I
keep having trouble getting it to work:

Ranon.$-	$#acs$:anon.$1

Macs,	P=/usr/guest/anon/anon-reply, F=nlF, S=10, R=20, A=anon-reply $u

     The first line should make all mail directed to "anon.*" be processed
by the mailer "acs."  The second should define a mailer named acs that
executes anon-reply.  I found that this would make it impossible to alias
anon.post, anon.admin, anon.ping, anon.help, etc.  So, I changed the first
line to:

Ranon.[0-9]$-	$#acs$:anon.$1

     That makes newaliases stop bitching about the aliases, but any mail
directed to an anon.### account bounces and it says "User unknown."  I
ignored the alias problem once and actually got it to get farther, where
it said "Unknown mailer error 2."  I think that's because it was using
/bin/sh instead of /bin/csh which is required for the scripts that I got
from a friend.  (acs2.2 is what I got, it was used for alt.personals)

     I want to rewrite it, but the important part is getting the aliasing
to work.  The rest is a piece of cake once I can get sendmail do to this.
I hate to rebuild my alias database, besides which, that slows down ALL
mail.  If anyone knows which RFC's to look at for the sendmail.cf format
or has experience with this problem, I would be eternally grateful.

Chael Hall

--
Chael Hall
[email protected], [email protected]