Societies & Your Health

Responding to msg by Doug Cutrell:

"Blanc seems to be concerned principally with the soundness and
health of the business entity."
	Well, if you mean that I was defending the prerogative of a
corporate entity against an angry mob of voters descending upon
it to coerce services from it, health (& safety!) is the
concern.   But actually I was taking your argument of equal
fairness and noting that voters who responded that way to a
denial of service would be expecting automatic beneficence,
without considering the means to the end:  if there is no
existing service, there is no one to coerce into providing it.

The voting public which bands together to use coercion takes
services & benefits for granted, without any respect for the
source.

" I am not sure whether Blanc would hold that businesses should
be free to engage in racist hiring policies if that is their
decision...."

	Since I wouldn't claim to own either the corporations or the
society within which they operate, I wouldn't presume to direct
their hiring policies either.

"The argument seems to be that in a free society, natural
cooperative processes will provide a form of "autoregulation"
to discourage the widespread development of oppression of
specific classes of individuals."

	 Societies, I hear tell, develop with the intent of deriving
positive benefits from an association with people who want to
interact with each other.  In a "free" society, oppressed
classes of individuals would be at liberty to leave to form
their own, repressive arrangements and establish their own
discriminative hiring policies.

"....... imagine the development of a multitude of secret
"crypto-posse" organizations.   .......Organizations such as
the KKK could accrue the financial support of large numbers of
members to create strong social and economic pressures to
oppress segments of the population. . . . . . "

	One thing I can say about this, is that there already exist a
large number of this type of organization, and they are not
very secret about it.  In Bosnia, in Iran, in South America, in
South Africa, et al.  They suppress & decimate whole
populations in full view.  Perhaps if there were a larger
number of secret organizations, they would target each other
and kill each other off.  The world could become one big, happy
family of paranoids instead of just a horde of " nattering
nabobs of negativism" ( is that an endangered species?).

Blanc