re: new rules: filing electronic tax returns

In an note to Cypherpunks, [email protected] notes that the IRS will
require fingerprints (and other information) for people filing
tax returns electronically.

My understanding is that this refers to professional tax preparers.
Note that individuals are currently filing "electronically" by sending
their return to an agency, such as the MacInTax people.

The problem the IRS faced, as I understand it from a brief report
on NPR, is that there was a lot of fraud going around -- people
filing bogus returns with refunds, then disappearing with the money.

LaurenN also wondered why CPA's and lawyers are exempt -- I would
imagine that this is because their identity is known through their
professional licensing.

Just my speculation.

Martin Minow
[email protected]