Re: Pat Robertson Fears E-cash?

On Thu, 3 Aug 1995, K. M. Ellis wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Aug 1995, Peter Trei wrote:
>
> > The relevant verses are in Revelations 13, where some of the actions
> > by which The Beast can be recognized are given. Among them are:
> > [Deletia]
> >
> > E-cash is a bit of a reach from this, but some of them (eg,
> > Robertson), extend the verses to cover all forms of trackable
> > transactions. I suspect that if someone could get him to realize the
> > privacy aspects of true anonymous ecash, he'd like it.

> I read in the New York Times that a lot of fundamentalist Christians fear
> the e-cash revolution because they believe that eventually everyone will
> be required to bear a tattooed bar code on their right hand which
> would contain all a person's information:  name, d.o.b., birthplace,
> etc.

Crapola. They fear the unknown, and read their own personal prejudices
and beliefs into something they don't understand. Maybe I'll start going
to church <shudder> and explain to the believers about the benefits of
crypto *against* such Revalationary measures. I'm sure they would be
interested in the work Chaum has done regarding truly anonymous
transactions.

Hell, maybe we could set up a Dining Christians net.

"Freedom is meaningless unless  | [email protected] - James Childers
 you can give to those with whom| No man's freedom is safe
 you disagree." - Jefferson     |    while Congress is in session
        EA 73 53 12 4E 08 27 6C   21 64 28 51 92 0E 7C F7