addressing

hello all,

while this message has zero cypherpunks content, i'm posting this
information request here because i think there is a good chance that
someone on this list can help me with my question.

a friend of mine who has an mcimail account is having trouble getting
messages to a person in the far east with an address that looks like
this...

<FLAST+PERMATMS%[email protected]

the 'flast' represents her first initial and last name.

i've never seen a "%" or "+" in an address before and am wondering
if anyone out there can tell me what they mean, or if they can be resolved
to a typical net.address.

thanks for your time.

amp
          *          / Only God can see the whole     *
          *          \ Mandlebrot Set at Once!        *
          * amp                                       *
          * <[email protected]>                  *
          * <[email protected]>               *
Key fingerprint =  A7 97 70 0F E2 5B 95 7C  DB 7C 2B BF 0F E1 69 1D