Re: PRZ encrypted voice software release imminent

On Fri, 11 Aug 1995, David Neal wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Aug 1995, Vladimir Z. Nuri wrote:
> > when someone invents cheap hardware that you can just plug
> > on top of any existing phone, i.e. "the phone adaptor", TPA?,
> > *that's* when the world is going to go crazy with crypto.

> It's closer than you think.  I've been messing with TI's
> Digital Signal Processing DSK.  For $99 you get a DSP
> with audio in, audio out and 10k of memory.  Reference
> implementations of : DTMF encoders/decoders; 300, 1200, 2400 baud
> modem programs; and voice processing software already exist.

It would be interesting to create a hardware device which is
interoperable with PGPFone but uses a DSP chip and a slower control
processor.  I can easilly imagine $100-$150 as a reasonable range.

I will be really curious to see what kind of voice coder they are using
in PGPFone...I assume it is some flavor of CELP.

-Thomas