Re: FBI Files on Clipper Release

On Wed, 16 Aug 1995, Futplex wrote:

> Dave Banisar quotes FBI documents obtained via the FOIA:
> >      Technical solutions, such as they are, will only work if
> >      they are incorporated into *all* encryption products.
> >      To ensure that this occurs, legislation mandating the
> >      use of Government-approved encryption products or
> >      adherence to Government encryption criteria is required.
>
> ...meanwhile...
> > Testifying before a Senate Judiciary
> > Subcommittee on May 3, 1994, Assistant Attorney General Jo Ann
> > Harris asserted that:
> >
> >      As the Administration has made clear on a number of
> >      occasions, the key-escrow encryption initiative is a
> >      voluntary one; we have absolutely no intention of
> >      mandating private use of a particular kind of
> >      cryptography, nor of criminalizing the private use of
> >      certain kinds of cryptography.
>        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> By exactly what mechanism are appointed (hired ?) officials such as AAG Harris
> supposedly accountable to the public ?  Can they be brought up on perjury
> charges ?  Just what real legal recourse do we have against lying scum in the
> bureaucracy ?  Are we stuck unless we can get some Congresscritter to cry
> foul on the floor of the House or Senate ?

You sure are anxious to prosecute government officials.  What is untrue
about her statement.  Maybe she meant it's OK to use ROT-13 but nothing
else ...

And you guys complained about the Jake Baker prosecution!

BTW, Harris is no longer AAG-Criminal Division.  She went back to
teaching, keeping a commitment she made to her family.  And yes, she was
appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate.

> -Futplex <[email protected]>
> "you said too much; and what you said, it was a lie" -EMF

EBD