Re: Third World Man

> The US is slipping into the second world as we
> speak, with no signs of a turnaround ahead.  Only the sheer size of
> the economy keeps people from believing it.

Just a nomenclature peeve - I'm not sure of the precise time and
place the (first|second|third) world meme originated, but it seems to
predate 1970, and until very recently it's meaning was clear:

First world: Western (and Westernized) nations - mainly the US, Canada, Western Europe,
Japan, Australia, & New Zealand

Second world: Communist bloc (I can still remember the Cultural
Revolution. Prior to that, the Communists seemed a monolithic force,
marching in lockstep.)

Third world: The rest, mostly poor nations.

Back then, the world was a simpler place.

Peter Trei
Senior Software Engineer
Purveyor Development Team
Process Software Corporation