PGPfone 1.0b4 Test at Party Tonight

Talk about synchronicity!

Three years ago, as we met for our first meeting (before we had been dubbed
"Cypherpunks"), PGP 2.0 had just appeared a day or two earlier. Arthur
Abraham prepared copies on floppies (I know, I know, not fully secure :-}),
and we all got copies at that first meeting.

Well, PGPfone was released yesterday, and the release date is officially 25
August. And I have it, and my Cypherpunks Santa Cruz party/meeting is
tonight.

It runs on Macintoshes, so far, and I got it downloaded (from
"alt.anonymous.messages," ironically, as the MIT site would not let me have
it, claiming they couldn't verify that "got.net" was a kosher site....so,
"the street" gave it to me, without any of those messy restrictions on who
I can give it to, etc.:-}). Quit an example of synchronicity, that it just
appeared, that the Mac is its first implementation platform, and that
today's my party.

It seems to work, at least in voice mode, though I need to read up on
set-ups for my sound input and output (fairly standard for the Mac, but
always a chance of some misconfiguration). I have a PowerMac 7100av, goosed
up to 84 MHz, so power should not be a problem.

What would really be nice is to have someone to test this with. Hence this
message. If you are willing to be a test partner, especially at tonight's
Cypherpunks Santa Cruz party, send me a message with your phone number. And
any tips you've found are necessary to make it work.

(I already realized I had to get the latest Threads Manager, and did so via
Apple's Web site.)

The party starts around 6 p.m., PDT. A call around 8-10 p.m. PDT would be
nice. I can call you, or vice versa, depending.

Three cheers for synchronicity!

--Tim May