poltical anonymnity (Open Letter)

Mr. Young:

Your address was the only email address at cbsnews that I had handy, so
you get a copy of my open letter, which is being CC'd to the cypherpunks
mailing list ([email protected]). It would be much apreciated if you
could pass a copy of this along to Jonathan Klein, Andrew Hayward (fat
chance, eh?) and to Joe Klein as well.  Also, if you can point me to some
more appropriate email addresses at cbsnews, I would be most thankful.

TIA

Ben

   NEW YORK (Reuter) - One of the best kept secrets in political,
   journalistic and publishing circles was revealed Wednesday when
   Newsweek journalist Joe Klein admitted he was ''Anonymous'', the
   mysterious author of a novel based on President Clinton's 1992
   presidential campaign.

   [...]

   CBS News later said it was unhappy with Klein, who works for the
   network as a political consultant.

   ``We are obviously disturbed by the fact that Joe Klein was not
   forthcoming with us nor with nearly anyone else of his authorship of
   the novel 'Primary Colors,''' CBS News executive Vice President
   Jonathan Klein (no relation) said in a statement. He said network
   president Andrew Hayward would meet the author next week to discuss
   the matter.

I'd like to speak in defense of Mr. Klein:

Anonymity has been a big part of the American political process from the
very inception of the constution of the United States. Even the most
simplistic mind is capable of considering and making decisions not only
about the content of a particular work, but also about the credibility of
the source. We all do this exact thing hundreds of times a day in our
everyday dealings.

The ability to publish anonymously, particularly the ability to publish
political statements anonymously, is a valuable tool for giving people an
unbiased view of political issues. Forcing people to put their names on
documents which may subject them to social, economic, or political
retaliation is a sure way to guarantee that the most corrupt political
groups are able to acquire and maintain places of leadership within our
society.

Information - even false, biased, and misleading information - is the
cornerstone of sound decision making. The idea that a person should
invariably be "honest" and "forthcoming" about authorship of a political
work tears at the very roots of the american political process.

It is my strong oppinion that Jon Klein has done his network a grave
disservice with his recent announcement - how can the public expect
to be presented the facts on any story when their organisation is
obviously more concerned with maintaining accountability to the various
and sundry political factions than they are with presenting all sides of
an issue for evaluation?

Ben Holiday

[email protected]