Re: TEMPEST not restricted

Yanek Martinson makes some very good points about the legality of
TEMPEST:

> "Treason" writes:
>
> > Here is parts of the article I posted regarding the legality of the use
> > of emf shielding.
> [...]
> > PERRY, now I put up, now YOU SHUT UP!
> > sheesh.
> > treason@gnu.
>
> The article you posted is at least 3 years old, if not older.  I have not
> checked on the legal references quote in the article, but I called up
> Wayne Martin of Lindgren RF Enclosures, and asked him about this.  He
> said that he was not restricted to selling TEMPEST equipment to military
> or government only, and suggested that if I am looking for TEMPEST-compliant
> computers, I should call up a computer manufacturer like IBM or Digital,
> and they would be able to sell such systems to me.
>
> Maybe things have changed in the last three years since the article was
> written, or maybe it was incorrect to begin with.

Thanks, Yanek!

And could I suggest to all of us that we be very careful in the
language we use when disagreeing with others? "Treason's" demand that
Perry now "SHUT UP" is intemperate and counterproductive.

Our list is not moderated, that is, there is no censor or moderator
holding people back when they feel the temptation to spew bile all
over the list. With hundred of folks now on this list, great care must
be taken.

Sorry to waste list bandwidth on this point of list etiquette.

--Tim

[email protected]       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
Higher Power: 2^756839 | PGP Public Key: by arrangement.