Re: The Need for Positive Repuations

> From: [email protected] (Timothy C. May)
> The longterm solution is to use "positive reputations" and not just
> "negative reputations" (as in Kill files). This is something Dean
> Tribble just talked about at our last physical meeting of the
> Cypherpunks ("Bay Area Branch" :-} ).
>

> Think of like a credit rating. People _earn_ trust, they don't just
> get assigned a credit rating until they do something bad.

>From: [email protected] (Perry E. Metzger)
>Indeed, in the long run, when there are billions of people in the
>nets, even UseNet newsgroups devoted to people who use musical
>instruments as sex toys would have thousands of posts a day because
>given billions of possible subscribers, finding a few tens of
>thousands with a particularly obscure interest wouldn't be hard.
>Thus, in the long run, the nets will move to "closed" newsgroups and
>mailing lists in which to be a subscriber one will have to be
>explicitly subscribed to a list and will only be able to read with
>one's private key and post by digitally signing messages. In such
>an environment, anonymous abusers will simply be incapable of
>annoying people.

Yes, but there will still need to be a way for new people to join the
lists, (and the net in general) before they've had a chance to "prove
themselves."  Allowing all new id's to post to the whole group on a
probationary basis is unacceptable;  as soon as someone proves
obnoxious enough to kick off they could just start over with a new
id.  The obvious answer is that a moderator will be necessary for all
closed lists that require a positive rep for posting and that don't
wish to be forever limited to their founding members.  After a few
lucid posts passed by the moderator, an individual would gain enough
of a reputation not to be filtered out any longer.

Of course, anyone who's heard Howard Stern fans invade political
call-in shows will realize there's not much that can be done with
those weird people who will spend a lot of time and energy to appear
credible, only to annoy people.

Joe