Re: Politics of Rmailers

>E.> I can imagine it, but none exist.  This is mostly because the From:
>                          ^^^^^^^^^^^
>E.> field is supplied by the mailer and satisfies that requirement,
>E.> whereas requiring things in teh body of the mail message goes against
>E.> the grain of how the systems are used.
>*Bzzzzt* Wrong answer, thank you for playing.  The public access bbs
>system running out of Chapel Hill, automatically appends the same signature
>to all outgoing messages, and other sites are considering the same measures.

Chael>      I think what he's saying is that a signature that identifies which
Chael> *user* on the system as well as the system name does not exist.  I'm
Chael> sure there are a couple, but I agree with your point that most BBS's on
Chael> any mail network append an identifying "tagline" or signature.  As a
Chael> matter of fact, in many nets it is a requirement that your system append
Chael> a tagline to all messages.  Incidentally, it is preceded often by "--"
Chael> on a line by itself.

Evidently I mis-interpreted his exact meaning in his statement, but if I
remember correctly, wasn't one of the original mail messages along this line
stating that any mail system which included a signature or identification
automatically was broken?  The point being is this is a common example
of how this is used, and that if an anonymous poster comes from such a site,
his sig would close the search area greatly if not removed.  So this
appears to me to be a good point in favor of signature stripping.

Chael> Chael Hall

Chael> --
Chael> Chael Hall
Chael> [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Chael> (317) 285-3648 after 3 pm EST
CrysRides