Newsgroups: soc.culture.asean
Subject: ?? Electronic Monitoring ?? [The article]
From: [email protected] (legend)
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1993 19:40:25 GMT
Sender: [email protected] (The Anon Administrator)

        sorry about the previous post.  The mailer cut off
everything after any "--" line, which I used to separate the
forwarded message.  Here'e the complete message.

legend.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] writes:

|> Now with Malaysia officially on Internet, I wonder if the ISA patrol
|> will be monitoring this (and maybe s.c.malaysia) newsgroup.  If so, then
|> I guess there'll be no more criticizing the government -- that could
|> get you detained without a trial.  And since posting here could be
|> interpreted as publishing, I guess there'll be no more talk on "sensitive"
|> issues or you'll be in hot soup under the Seditions Act.  Of course, now
|> we can't talk about freedom or basic human rights either because Mr.
|> what's-his-name here has declared that it has no place in Malaysian
|> society; therefore it has no place in s.c.a or s.c.m too!
|>
|> SIGH!  Soc.culture.asean will never be quite the same again...  But hey,
|> look on the bright side... we can always talk about food.
|>
|> Goodnight...
|>
|> Ahmad Zulqarnain b. Che On                              GO HOOSIERS!!
|> [email protected]              NO MORE DOOK... NO MORE DOOK... NO MORE DOOK
   !

        When in doubt, assume they will (or for that matter, have been).
In fact, Malaysia has *ALWAYS* been capable of monitoring Usenet news since a
long time ago, since Malaysia has long been connected via UUCP, which is
capable of providing a news feed.

        Included below is an article that appeared in alt.bbs.allsysop.
It's source has NOT been validated.   It is included here for your
pondering only.    PLEASE TREAT IT ONLY AS A RUMOR UNTIL THERE IS
EVIDENCE.   The possibility of the scenerio described in the article
happening is up for debate.

        Again, the article is included for discussion purposes only.
Please use your own discretion in deciding the truthfulness/falsefulness
of the content.   I am only forwarding an article that appeared in another
newsgroup.   This article was NOT originated from me.

legend.

*
*
        ***                                                                   **
*
        ***  IF YOU WISH TO QUOTE/RE-QUOTE PART/ALL OF THE FOLLOWING ARTICLE, **
*
        ***   PLEASE ALWAYS INCLUDE THIS DISCLAIMER/WARNING WITH IT. THANKS.  **
*
        ***                                                                   **
*
        ***     The following article appeared in alt.bbs.allsysop in         **
*
        ***     September '92 and is re-post here without permission.         **
*
        ***     It has been included here for DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY.       **
*
        ***     The validity of the information included has NOT BEEN         **
*
        ***     VERIFIED.  The reader should at best treat it as a RUMOR      **
*
        ***     at this point, and conduct his/her own investigation if       **
*
        ***     felt necessary.                                               **
*
        ***                                                                   **
*
*
*

ORIGINAL POST FOLLOWS:

Newsgroup: alt.bbs.allsysop
In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Bob Foxworth) writes:

> [...]
|>   networks that routinely monitor and reroute modem and fax transmissions
|>   through devices that allow them to view what is being transmitted and
|>   even decodes encrypted data and fax packets used by major corporations
|>   and governmental agencies.  This is allowed under the heading of
|>   "Maintenance Monitoring" and may be continued for up to 6 months without
|>   the need of any legal paperwork being generated.  Under an obscure
|>   pre-WWII ruling by the agency that is now the FCC... "No information may
|>   be encoded or transmitted over PUBLIC or PRIVATE forms of telephony or
|>   radio with the exception of those agencies involved in the National
|>   Security" a further designation goes on to say "with the exception of
|>   the MORSE system of 'transmittal', any communication that is not
|>   interpretable by the human ear is forbidden and unlawful."
|>
|>   The information gathered goes to 3 seperate database facilities...1 is
|>   codenamed Diana and is located in Brussels, the 2nd is named Fredrick
|>   and is located somewhere in Malaysia, the 3rd is named Elizabeth and is
|>   located in Boulder, Colorado.  The information stored in these systems
|>   is accessable by the US Government, Interpol, Scotland Yard and various
|>   other such agencies.  Your credit rating is also affected by your modem
|>   usage... if you ever get a copy of your credit history and find a
|>   listing that has HN06443 <--= this is a negative risk rating. or a code
|>   87AT4 <---= an even more negative risk rating.... these will usually
|>   have no description on them... and if you inquire about them they will
|>   tell you that it just comes from the system that way.
|>
|>   I am currently working for another major carrier as a consultant and
|>   have been able to watch these systems operate...at one unnamed long
|>   distance carrier here in Columbus Ohio in their NCC, Network Control
|>   Center, you can see several rows of computer terminals which have
|>   approximately 30 to 40 separate windows in each... these windows have
|>   data transmissions that are being monitored... banks of 9 track tapes
|>   are going constantly to record everything.  Everyone should realize that
|>   even if a sysop posts a disclaimer at the beginning of his bbs about no
|>   access to governmental agencies or law enforcement...that it isn't worth
|>   the time it takes to type it in... looking forward to hearing reactions
|>   to this.
|>
|>                              ******
|>
|> I apologize for the length of this message, but it's information that I
|> feel is important, especially for any land-line BBS sysop. Anytime you
|> enter a message, even if it's private, always do it with the assumtion
|> that it's going to be seen by anyone and everyone, everywhere.
|>
|> Tnx
|> 73s
|> de Tom, N8ECW@KA8Z.#NEOH.OH.USA.NA
|> [end included message]
|> Standard disclaimers apply. My employer, above, has no connection or
|> responsibility with anything I say or relay here. Of course.

To find out more about the anon service, send mail to [email protected].
Due to the double-blind system, any replies to this message will be anonymized,
|___  ___  _____  ___ ___                   | User Services, Room 134, Adm Bldg|
||  \/  | / ____\ | | | | Fan Li TAI        | Memphis State University         |
|| \  / | \____ \ | |_| | Campus Box 528039 | Internet: [email protected] |
||_|\/|_| \_____/ \_____/ Memphis, TN 38152 | Bitnet  : USTAI@MEMSTVX1         |