Re: DES

> > My take on breaking DES would be to just try all 2**56th keys on a
> > massively parallel machine, though there may be better approaches.
>
> A massively parallel colection of dedicated DES encryption hardware
> might be more cost effective if had alot of these things to crack.
>
> Speaking of which, does anyone know who makes "the DES chip" (is
> there more than one?)? I'd like to find a data sheet for it.
>

> brad

Many manufacturers make DES chips.  One that comes to mind is American Micro
Devices, though I don't remember a part number off hand.  I can find out and
post it to the list.  I do remember reading the data sheet, and it looked
like a nice implementation.  If I'm not mistaken, Motorola makes one as well,
though it may have been obsoleted by improvements in speed.