Re: A novel (?) return address idea

> The current na/an address workaround is okay, but I think we could do
> better.

Definitely agree!

> Here's my scheme:

> When someone wants to reply to an anonymous message or post, the
> remailer decrypts the address, ignores the "salt" bits, looks up the
> anonymous ID in its database, and sends it on to the desired
> recipient.

> A couple disadvantages could be running out of bits for the return
> address,

Lemmesee... Monocase, and can't use much more than letters, digits and
some special signs. Could be feasible, but we would get some rather
weird addresses...

> and adding more encryption work for the remailer.

This could be a problem. Anon.penet.fi is currently a feeble 25 Mhz 386,
and I have already ordered the replacement, a 60 Mhz 486 to handle the
load problems.

> You'd
> definitely have to own the machine, and implement some, er, different
> mailing software, since you'd have to accept mail for users with any
> random name whatsoever.

Anon.penet.fi already does this. As long as we have something to pattern
match for (to separate [email protected] from
[email protected]).

> What do you all think about this for a "Mark II" anon.penet.fi?

Have to sleep on it (it's 8:30pm here in finland), but it sounds
feasible to me...

	Julf