Re: University Policies

Well... This is available from our site via anonymous FTP... so I suppose
there are no copyright problems by sending it to you...  enjoy...

OBTW, the title lines are my addition...  and the file is normally printed
(on the sheet they give you with your initial password) in small print,
and so the file is formatted to about 132 columns...

Univeristy of New Brunswick Computing Policies
  (UNB, Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada)

 POLICIES                                              5.  Improper use of Computing Services may  result
                                                           in  withdrawal  of  access privileges or other
 The  computing  and  communication  systems at the        penalties.  The following (but not limited  to
 University of New Brunswick  are  intended  to  be        the following) may be considered improper:
 used in a manner that is supportive of the Univer-
 sity's   objectives.    All  constituents  of  the        �   Frivolous use of any workstation, computer
 University are able to apply to  use  the  univer-            or network.
 sity's  computing facilities.  When that privilege        �   Inspection  of data or functions which are
 is granted (e.g., when an account is  issued),  it            neither allotted  to  the  inspector,  nor
 is  granted with the understanding that the use of            specified as public.
 the  computing  system  will  correspond  to   the        �   Inspection  of  data which have to do with
 purpose(s) stated in the request.                             utilization, authorization or security.
                                                           �   Modification of data which are not specif-
 At  the University of New Brunswick Computing Ser-            ically assigned to or created by the modi-
 vices Department,  internal  customers  (students,            fier.
 faculty  and  staff) are not personally billed for        �   Use of another's account.
 use but are held personally  responsible  for  use        �   Interference with other persons  accessing
 made  of  their  accounts.   Certain practices are            the systems, networks or equipment.
 considered a misuse of university property.  Exam-        �   Destruction  of  data or property which is
 ples of such misuse are the use of any part of the            not owned by the destroyer.
 computing system for personal or corporate profit,        �   Attempting to gain access to another's re-
 or to provide free resources to unauthorized  per-            sources, programs, or data.
 sons.                                                     �   Use of another's programs or data  without
                                                               their permission.
 The  following  policies  govern  the  use  of the        �   Sending obscene or vulgar messages.
 University of  New  Brunswick  Computing  Services        �   Abusive  or destructive use of hardware or
 Department facilities:                                        public software.
                                                           �   Use of  the  facilities  for  personal  or
 1.  No  person or persons shall use the facilities            corporate  gain  without  an  external ac-
     of the University Computing  Services  Depart-            count.  Examples of such use include  pro-
     ment  without  due  authorization by Computing            ducing   invitations,   posters,  personal
     Services.                                                 correspondence, etc., and the sale of com-
                                                               puter programs or results developed  under
 2.  Every allocation  of  computing  resources  is            an internal account.
     made  on  the  understanding  that it is to be
     used only for the purpose for which it was re-    6.  Customers are expected to:
     quested and only by the person or  persons  by
     whom  or on whose behalf the request was made.        a.  Be  responsible  for the use of their com-
     Use shall not be made of  computing  resources            puter accounts.  They should  make  appro-
     allocated  to  another  person or group unless            priate  use  of  system  provided security
     such use has been specifically  authorized  by            features and take precautions against oth-
     Computing Services.                                       ers obtaining access  to  their  computing
                                                               resources.
 3.  No  person  or  persons shall by any wilful or
     deliberate act  jeopardize  the  integrity  of        b.  Refrain   from  engaging  in  deliberately
     computing  equipment,  networks,  programs, or            wasteful practices such as:
     other stored information.
                                                               �   unnecessary holding of workstations or
 4.  Persons authorized to use computing and commu-                telecommunications lines;
     nication resources shall be expected to  treat            �   producing unnecessarily large  printer
     as privileged, any information not provided or                listings;
     generated  personally  which may become avail-            �   performing unnecessary computations;
     able to them through their use  of  these  re-            �   creating  and  retaining unnecessarily
     sources;   they   shall   not   copy,  modify,                large files;
     disseminate, or use any part  of  such  infor-            �   unnecessary  holding   of   peripheral
     mation  without  permission of the appropriate                equipment.
     person or body.
                                                           c.  Utilize efficient and effective techniques
                                                               for program execution.

---
Nick MacDonald               | NMD on IRC
[email protected]  | PGP 2.1 Public key available via finger