UUNET connections

My previous message re my UUCP connection to UUNET has generated several
questions in E-mail, as well as a recently posted question about "the $50
connections to UUNET", so I feel like I oughta answer the question(s)
apparently created by my quick summary of my use of UUNET's services.

UUNET will allow you to make a UUCP connection to their machines for an
"administrative fee" of $36 per month, plus hourly connect rates. These
rates are (as of my booklet rcvd from them in 1/93) $2.60/hr if you call
their local dialup (NPA 703), and $5.60/hr if you dial in via the Compuserve
packet network. Their local dialups support the PEP protocol as well as v.32
connections; I average around 700 cps when I dial in directly with v.32, and
around 450 cps when I dial in via Compuserve.

The $50 figure I quoted is my average monthly cost for a slow but steady
trickle of mail (roughly 7K per day) and approximately 20 newsgroups, none
of which are binary-oriented and none of which are super-high traffic.  This
includes my hourly cost for both direct-dial and Compuserve connections; I
prefer to dial in directly, but have my Systems file set up to use
Compuserve as a backup means of connection when the direct lines are busy
(which happens with some frequency.)

UUNET will register a domain name for you for free if you are a subscriber;
if you do not subscribe to their service, the cost is $50.  (I incorrectly
quoted $25 for this to someone via E-mail.)

UUNET sends a free copy of O'Reilly & Associates' _Managing uucp & Usenet_
when you sign up with them; great book, nice touch, probably saves them
money for all of the questions it answers.

To get in touch with UUNET:

[email protected]
or
800-488-6384

I think you could also probably find some information files if you FTP'd to
ftp.uu.net; I'm unsure about that and offer no guarantees.

UUNET also offers a "low-volume" agreement that I don't know much about
since I don't subscribe to it. I know that PSI offers similar service; my
recollection is that they want $75/3mos for mail, and $225/3mos for news,
flat-rate. PSI can be reached at '[email protected]' or 703-620-6651.

I have no connection with UUNET beyond being a happy & satisfied customer;
I've found them to be friendly & helpful and generally good to work with.
The folks at PSI seem nice too but their prices for what I want right now
are higher. UUNET and PSI both offer realtime IP connections, in addition to
UUCP links like the one I use; call them for more information.

--
Greg Broiles                            [email protected]
Golden Bear Consulting                  +1 503 465 0325