Real-time BBS Encryption??

I thought of this the other day, but don't know enough about programming
and cryptography to do it, or if it actually could be done.  Anyways, I
figured I'd share it with all of you and see if anyone has any ideas.

Here's the situation:  We all know that some advanced computer systems
have real-time encryption built into all modem connections.  When a
bank branch dials into the main office the entire transmission may be
encrypted.  This occurs even between terminal connections and the host.
I'm wondering if there is a way to do this with PCs?  Say I'm setting up
a computer bulletin board for my company that is going to run off of a
DOS PC.  Is there a way to encrypt a remote users entire connection with
the BBS, so that they would have to have a special term program to access
the system?  It would be best if the user only had to load a device driver
or something so that they wouldn't all have to use the same comm program.
Could this be done by loading a special device driver on both the host and
remote so that all data going through com port 2 (or whatever) is encrypted?

Anybody know if something like this is available?

 * Mike McMahon                                                          *
 * Internet:  [email protected]                                       *
 * PGP Fingerprint:  95 F9 2A 1B 81 4F D8 31  56 ED BC A5 4F 64 A7 02    *