The mysterious mailing list (fwd)

There have been reports about a mailing list set-up at NIST that had a
number of people on it including Mitch Kapor.

The list is named "clipper" and it was through that list that part of
the Wire Tap Chip announcement came.

I asked Mitch directly, what is involvement with that list was; I
asked him if he was involved with the development of the Wire Tap
Chip.

Below is is reply. I believe him.

/harry

a conscious being, Mitchell Kapor wrote:
> From [email protected] Wed Apr 17 23:11:38 1993
> Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1993 07:11:38 -0800
> To: [email protected]
> From: Mitchell Kapor <[email protected]>
>
> I believe the list in the question is an informational list set up at NIST.
>  My name was placed on it.  I did not ask to be put on such a list.  We
> were (obviously)  not involved in the development of Clipper.

> I was sent the Clipper announcement fact sheet, for instance.

> There has been a small amount of traffic on it, none of it consequential.

> I would appreciate it if you would make these facts known.

I have told Mitch I will put this info out and have asked that he
make clipper list mail public at some FTP site.

I have also asked him when he started getting traffic from this list.

/harry

--
Harry Shapiro  				      [email protected]