Clipper: International implications

It will be fascinating to see how non-US governments react to
Clipper.  Anybody have any info on this?  I will contact the
office of the Canadian minister responsible for Communictions
(Hon. Perrin Beatty) and see if there has been a
statement or reaction.  Canada might prosper as a "phone haven"
much as some Caribbean countries are "data havens."

Somewhat related item in April 19/93 Communictions Week
International (page 4) reports (in part): "Europe's mobile
telephone industry is developing less-secure GSM digital cellular
equipment to mollify government law-enforcement agencies and
adjust to restrictions on high technology exports.  New base
station software and modified handset chips would make it easier
for GSM calls to be tapped, a requirement of some governments,
but would likely cost millions of dollars to install in existing networks and terminals."

The export status of Clipper technology will also be an
interesting thing to sort out.  White House Statement just says
"case by case."
Dr. Tom Keenan, I.S.P.   Associate Dean, R&D, U of Calgary
& Technology Correspondent, CBC Television "Midday"