Re: Tough Choices: PGP vs. RSA Data Security

	From: Theodore Ts'o <[email protected]>
	   From: Sy Verpunc <[email protected]> (Graham Toal)

	   Thats what people have *always wanted* to do.  RSA won't let them.  That's
	   why any talk of a newer friendlier Bizdos is bullshit.

	Have you actually tried?

*I* don't need to.  PKP don't have a patent in Britain.

	Several people from RSA, including Bidzos at the last Cypherpunks
	meeting at Mountain View (I wasn't there, but take a look at the meeting
	"minutes"), have stated repeatedly that if someone were to ask for
	permission to use the internal interfaces of RSAREF in order to write a
	PGP-compatible program, they would grant permission.

That's *NOT* what we want to do.  We have perfectly good code that we trust
already, called pgp.  We're offering to pay a patent licence for pgp, not
some RSADEF-derived code with DES that we don't trust.  Hell, *I* would even
pay a license fee for pgp and I'm not even legally obliged to...

	However, as of two weeks ago, *NOT* *A* *SINGLE* *PERSON* *HAS* *ASKED*.

Because that's the wrong question.