No Subject

>From jberman Thu May  6 18:23:32 1993
Date: Thu, 6 May 1993 18:23:09 -0400
To: eff-board, eff-staff
From: jberman (Jerry Berman)
Subject: LETTER TO PRES CRYTO

This is the letter to the President dated 5/6/93  on Cryptography and
Clipper Chip from the digital privacy and security working group. PLEASE
CIRCULATE BROADLY. For further information, contact  [email protected]
(202-5449237)

> [...]
>and other constitutional rights that must be taken into account when any
>domestic surveillance scheme is proposed.  Moreover, it is unclear how your
>proposal and the overall review of cryptography policy will impact on U.S.
>export controls.  Over the past two years, the Digital Privacy and Security
>Working Group has held numerous meetings at which both public and private
>sector representatives have exchanged technical and legal information with
>the law enforcement community on just such issues.
>
>        In the White House press release of April 16, the Press Secretary
>stated that you have "directed early and frequent consultations with
>affected industries...and groups that advocate the privacy rights of
>individuals..."  Our group of over 50 members -- from computer software and
>hardware firms, to telecommunications companies and energy companies, to
>the American Civil Liberties Union and the Electronic Frontier Foundation
>-- requests the opportunity to participate in developing policy on the
>broad range of security and privacy issues being considered, including
>appropriate encryption techniques.  We believe that our membership has the
>breadth and depth of expertise and experience that would allow us to
>provide an excellent forum for the development of new policies in these
>areas.
>        During the past few weeks, the Working Group has met several times
>to identify issues that need to be addressed.  Several aspects of the
>Administration's encryption proposal warrant further discussion, including,
>but not limited to:
>
>        o       whether a key escrow system will produce the desired law
>enforcement results;
>        o       the level of strength and integrity of the algorithm and
>the security of the key escrow system;
>        o       the advisability of a government-developed and classified
>algorithm;
>        o       its practicality and commercial acceptability;
>        o       the effect of the proposal on American competitiveness and
>the balance of trade;
>        o       possible implications for the development of digital
>communications; and,
>        o       the effect on the right to privacy and other constitutional
>rights.
>
>A detailed list of our questions relating to this subject is being prepared
>to facilitate this dialogue.
>
>        We are making our views known to officials within your
>Administration and Members of Congress as the review begins.  We would
>welcome the opportunity to participate in the review process and look
>forward to working with you and your Administration on this important issue
>in the coming months.  Representatives of the Digital Privacy and Security
>Working Group are anxious to meet with your staff at their earliest
>convenience to establish a consultation process.
>
>                                        Sincerely,
>
>abcd, The Microcomputer Industry Association
IBM
>American Civil Liberties Union
Information Technology Association of America
>Apple Computer, Inc.
Information Industry Association
>AT&T

Iris Associates
>Business Software Alliance
>Lotus Development Corporation
>Cavanagh Associates, Inc.
>McCaw Cellular Communications
>Cellular Telephone Industry Association
MCI
>Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility
>Microsoft Corporation
>Computer & Business Equipment Manufacturers Association
 RSA Data Security, Inc.
>Computer & Communications Industry Association
Software Publishers >Association
>Crest Industries, Inc.
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>Digital Equipment Corporation