Re: CALLER ID?

Phil Karn writes:

> Well, gee. If I can avoid caller ID and 800 number ANI by simply using
> any old cellular carrier for $0.40/minute (cheaper off peak), then why
> should I pay $1.95/minute for the same service to 1-900-STOPPER?
>
> Yeah, I know, that $1.95 probably includes the long distance portion too,
> but I doubt there are any ordinary domestic calls that cost as much as
> $1.55/minute...
>
> Phil

  I sent this out before, but it got lost.

  You can avoid ANIs for $0.00 in most areas by dialing your local
operator and saying "Could you please dial this 800 number, I am having
problems getting through to it." The ANI returns a bogus number, and
toll free operator assistance costs nothing here (C&P bell).

-- Ray Cromwell        |    Engineering is the implementation of science;    --
-- EE/Math Student     |       politics is the implementation of faith.      --
-- [email protected]  |                         - Zetetic Commentaries      --