PGP voice encryption

   Actually, if somebody wants to start developing PC based voice encryption,
there's a pretty significant installed base of machines that can handle it
already.  By the end of 1992, there were about 3 million machines with sound
cards, by the end of 93 it's projected to reach 6 million.  Anyone that has a
Soundblaster or Soundblaster compatible has both a DAC output and a
microphone input.  On a machine with a 9600 or 14,400 kilobaud modem,
sufficient real-time compression of voice to fit within the modem bandwidth
is a quite reasonable objective.  I know of at least three people in the
computer game industry that have been working on it, and at least one of them
already has functional code.  I'm sure there's a pretty fair number of
Macintoshes out there that have all the hardware to support real-time
encrypted voice communications also, though I don't follow the numbers in the
Mac market these days...
                               Dr. Cat / no .sig, why bore people?