PGP vs. RIPEM

( >>>>>>'s inserted for the benefit of George Gleason ;-)

From: Michael Edward Marotta <[email protected]>

That's great that Loompanics is covering encryption.

I think the existance of two programs is good, helping to promote some
rivalry and a certain amount of borrowing of good ideas from each other.
PGP now has a contrib directory with information and scripts to help
integrate it into mailers, an area which RIPEM has focussed on from the
beginning.

PGP was originally developed on a PC and then ported to Unix, while for
RIPEM it was the other way around, I believe.  The workings of RIPEM are
more Unix-ish while PGP is more DOS-ish.  Which program seems more natural
may depend on your background.

The user community is more diverse than most people realize.  You sound
like you have somewhat more of a PC orientation than many people on the
net.  Most of the people I run into have the opposite problem - they think
everything is Unix and that the PC is just some little corner of the world
which isn't really relevant.  They think that Usenet and Unix workstations
are the de facto target environment for any communications utility.

Actually, I think your experience is more relevant - PC's at home, hooking
up to BBS's, Fidonet, and the commercial services for communications;
also, people using PC's at home and dialing into Unix boxes at school or
work.  Another big area is people using networked PC's at work, although
since we are mostly talking about freeware packages here we haven't paid
much attention to that.

Especially with encryption, which generally can't run securely on multi-
user workstations, it makes more sense to think of PC's as the target platform.
Some people are starting to have single-user systems which can run Unix,
and this may increase with time, but for now DOS is where the emphasis
should be.  Many of the PC magazines predict that Unix is dead in that
market and that Windows is the platform of choice in the future, so that
is where we should be aiming, IMO.  As Phil Zimmermann says, "skate to
where the puck will be."

I didn't really mean to open up the standard OS wars here, but it's
important to realize that encryption has unique requirements for secrecy
and security which may affect the DOS vs Unix debate.  (And yes, I know
I'm leaving out Macs, Amigas, Ataris, and who knows what else.)

The big problem, as Eric Hughes has frequently mentioned here, is the need
to integrate encryption with mailing.  I think what is really needed is
some way of dealing with people who read mail on their PC while using
some kind of terminal program or similar package to connect to a BBS,
commercial service, or Unix box.  The problem is that there are so many
different programs in use and people probably won't be willing to switch
just to get encryption.  A lot of programs have fancy features including
scripting, macro keys, etc., and switching requires learning new ways of
doing all your old stuff.

Hal Finney
[email protected]