Crypto anarchy in a VW? (not the bug)

>this
>stirred up an old idea I had about server anonimity, that is that the
>actual physical location of a server would be very difficult to pin
>down...

This presumes a model where the logical server is a single machine.
That doesn't have to be the case.  By using a secret sharing protocol
(M out of N reconstruction), one can multiply site any database, with
sites anywhere in the world.  A database then is in actuality not in
any single place.

>the only way to do this with any real degree of security
>would be to bounce signals off a satellite but this would be rather
>costly...

Cryptography is all economics.  If you are doing something where the
location of a machine must not be revealed, then you've got the money
to pay for a satellite link.  High security means high expense, and
there is no way around that.

Eric