Re: Software infrastructure

Eric Hughes <[email protected]> writes:

> I propose that interested cypherpunks write a DOS terminal program
> which _is_ free software.  In order to overcome the inertia which Hal
> properly observes is endemic to any software change, I submit that to
> have source code available to fix or add features deemed desirable
> will be a key factor in acceptance of this software.  I have my own
> ideas about multiplexing the channel to support background POP and
> file transfer, but I'll leave that for later.  Such software, of
> course, would be properly layered to be able to add encryption at the
> key junctures.

I may be able to help out in a DOS project (though I seem to be migrating
quickly to Linux as it stabilizes...)  Perhaps the GPL'ed program term
would be useful in serial multiplexing applications.  It's quite nice for
Unix boxes, letting all kinds of streams coexist (even redirecting TCP/IP
ports over serial without the overhead of SLIP/PPP).  I believe I've
heard someone on comp.os.linux or gnu.misc.discuss talk about hacking DES
into term, so it sounds doable.  I'm not sure how much the code assumes
Unix serial device handing, but I'll have a look at the code.

Joe