Re: Software infrastructure

According to Eric Hughes:
>>Itpuzzles mewhy weare contemplating writing our own comm package when so many
>>good ones are out there that can be made to serve our purposes.
>
> Reliability.  Scripts do not easily handle error conditions that might
> result in lost mail.  They're fine for a few, but they aren't for all.

Well, this is a problem with any nontrivial program.  But a script has going
for it several very high-level constructs.  As people use any software, the
author will undoubtably have to improve it.  So, what is the difference if
he has to improve a script or a comm program?

> Integration.  Remembering what to do next is a large hurdle.

That's why we have scripts in the first place!  Scripts' main purpose is to
automate things.  How is this different with a comm program?  You still have to
remember how to use it....

| J. Michael Diehl ;-)  | I thought I was wrong once. | PGP KEY |
| [email protected] |   But, I was mistaken.      |available|
| [email protected]   |                             | Ask Me! |
+------"I'm just looking for the opportunity to be -------------+
|            Politically Incorrect!"   <Me>                     |
+-----If codes are outlawed, only criminals wil have codes.-----+
+----Is Big Brother in your phone?  If you don't know, ask me---+