Re: Software infrastructure

According to Pat Farrell:

> >As for "is kermit good enough?"  No.  Almost NO ONE in the DOS world uses
> >it any more,
> ..flames elided...
>
> I agree that the PC-centric BBS world has decided that Kermit is obsolete.

Maybe it's just us... ;^)

> Kermit is continually improving and is very nearly as fast as ZMODEM.

Maybe I have a slow version, but I have NEVER gotten comparable results 'tween
kermit and zmodem, or even ymodem.  Usually it's a 2:1 difference.

> It is available for nearly all platforms, is free, and source is availilbe.
> It includes NASI support directly. It has a very nice (powerful) scripting
> language. It also works over TCP/IP networks for folks with the luck
> to be Ethernet'd into the Internet (like most of the faculty and staff here
> at GMU). It also has very strong backward compatibility.

This is worth considering...

> I expect that Kermit is good enuff if you are interested in commandline
> scripts for plain old DOS. And the scripting language is also
> supported by the C version that run on nearly all Unixs and most other
> boxes. This would allow a single script to support a lot of users.
> I'm not interestedin DOS and command lines, but if some other
> cypherpunk wants to try, I'm sure not going to complain.

What do you mean by "commandline script?"

| J. Michael Diehl ;-)  | I thought I was wrong once. | PGP KEY |
| [email protected] |   But, I was mistaken.      |available|
| [email protected]   |                             | Ask Me! |
+------"I'm just looking for the opportunity to be -------------+
|            Politically Incorrect!"   <Me>                     |
+-----If codes are outlawed, only criminals wil have codes.-----+
+----Is Big Brother in your phone?  If you don't know, ask me---+