a great revelation from the bowels of NSA

>>"We tried to come up with a technique that would not require
>>legislation," said Clint Brooks, advisor to the director of the
>>National Security Agency,

>Another ominous, foreboding quote.

I think this neither ominous nor foreboding.  This statement was
apparent within a week or so of the original announcement.  The only
thing new about it is that it confirms what I've thought for over a
month: that the executive branch is trying to do an end run around the
legislature.

I was quite happy to see this, since now we can argue from this
position not on the basis of surmise, but of quotation.  This single
quotation will be enormously useful in getting the legislature to take
specific and bill-oriented action about the wiretap chips.  In the
checks and balance system, the legislature makes laws; the executive
makes them happen.  The executive is not supposed to go charging off
and making de facto legislation.

I would recommend that this quotation be spread far and wide.  Put it
in .signature blocks.  Call for a return of the checks and balances
system of government.

Eric