Re: McCarthy lives!

John Gilmore writes:

> > talking to a guy with longstanding computer security
> > connections. He looked at me strangely and said something like
> > "Well, Tim, your name just came up in Washington on a list of
> > the most dangerous hackers in the country." I laughed it off
>
> Tim, I'll be glad to teach you how to file a Privacy Act request.
> It's pretty simple, and it works on all Federal agencies.  You get all
> records they are keeping on you, with some limited exceptions -- and
> for almost all of those, you get notified of the withholding.  If you
> can identify one or a small number of agencies that might be keeping
> this "list", we can see if you are on it.  And if we find the list, we
> can probably get the whole thing under the Freedom of Information Act.

I'll take John up on his kind offer!

Though I expressed that to me this experience was kind of funny (in a
devil-may-care way, I hope you all understand), it *does* raise larger
issues of whether CERT is developing list of what might be called
"subversives" based on hearsay evidence and innuendo.

So, I'll try to pursue this and keep you folks posted.

-Tim

[email protected]       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
Higher Power: 2^756839 | Public Key: PGP and MailSafe available.
Note: I put time and money into writing this posting. I hope you enjoy it.