Re: Paranoid? PGP to the rescue!!

	Rather then encrypting mailing list and stuff like that, the
	real solution for "sensitive info" is for EVERYBODY especially
	people who share a lot of sensitive info with each other, to
	get themselves PGP keys.  Learn how to use PGP or some other
	form of encryption you will be better off for it, trust me,
	once this happens, then you can choose who YOU would like to
	send secure info to.  So in other words, if I want to send the
	FMR instructions to Brian I can encrypt the info and send it.
	I actually wished he had a key while he was away because then
	I could send him a private message to any account, just in case
	he couldn't log into soda. PGP is abount sending secure information
	to friends and others, information that is private and that you
	don't want others to read.  I would consider it rude to post an
	encrypted message to a public list unless it was an absolute
	emergency (i.e. the Thought Police are at my door, and they are
	going to take me away).

	The desimination of FMR info should be based on a personal
	system of trust,  PGP is some software that helps you keep the
	integrity of the communications between TRUSTED members, it is
	NOT a substitute for that trust and if used as such, will
	quickly disapoint you, with potentially disasterous
	consequences for some people. (It's better to assume that
	"They" are listening and choose your words, then to believe that
	because you have encrypted your infomation it is safe for you
	to incriminate yourself and others.)  With PGP, if the keys are
	not handled in a proper manner, it is no better than any normal
	private e-mail list.  The only reason that I would advocate
	encryption of the FMR instructions is FOR PRACTICE i.e. (danger
	paranoid statements approaching :) in case the day comes when we
	will really need to send information that we don't want Them to
	know.  The FMR info is not precious, we don't have much to
	loose except the party getting busted.  But if we did encrypt
	the data and use that as a method of distribution to TRUSTED
	roots of the FMR phone tree (which could change from time to
	time, then If the FMRs are mysteriously busted it would mean
	one or more of the following:

	1) One of the TRUSTED is an informant or cop.
	2) One or more of the people on the phone tree (only people
	   who meet visually) are informants or cops.
	3) one of the above persons told the info to an informant or cop.
	4) The cops "get lucky"
	5) The promoters leak the info to someone who knows or who is an
	   informant or cop.
	6) The cops can "break" the PGP code (a SERIOUS problem for cypherpunks)

	It is my assumption that 1 -5 are the most likely, and of 1 - 5
	   3 - 5 are things that we have absolutely NO control over.

	So PGP will only help us to enforce 1 and 2, I don't know if all the
	trouble of going through the motions of PGP are worth it except
	for the FUN and mystique of it all, it might just draw more attention
	and make the authorities think that there is something more to it
	than it really is.  I don't think this is a good idea.  I think if
	individuals want to use PGP to send secure messages whether it is FMR
	info or resumes that should be between them.  I think we should
	take this discussion offline (oh oh elitism strikes :) but everone
	knows what I mean by that, the people who have access to Future FMR
	info will I'm sure pledge to make sure that the info is distributed
	in a fair, secure and hopefully timely manner.  Those of you who wish
	to find the Full Moon Rave, look to the skies, keep your ears peeled
	and make friends, it's not hard.

				- G

NEXUS SYSTEMS/CYBERTRIBE-5 : Voice:(415)965-2384   Fax: (415)327-6416
Editor/Instigator/Catalyst : Geoff White <[email protected]>
Production Crew		   : Universal Movement Trinity <[email protected]>

        "They might stop the party, but they can't stop the future"

		--PGP Public key available upon request--
Paranoia - Your state of mind when you finally realize what's really going on.