re: query...

   A query -- I understand that the MIT Athena people implemented a DES
   encrypted telnet/telnetd for use with Kerberos. Anyone out there know
   where its sources live and how I could hack it to take a user
   specified DES key?

   Perry

The first one was done by Paul Borman at Cray. A snapshot was up for
FTP on uunet (named telnet.91.03.25.tar.Z) though I don't know what
was done with it; the authentication and encryption options draft
standard that it conformed to has been modified since then, although
all of the implementations (such as the utexas version for the Mac)
I've seen so far conform to Borman's version.
	It shouldn't be too hard to specify a key (of course you have
the problem of securely getting the key to the other end of the
connection -- that is, after all, one of the major side-benefits of
Kerberos...)
	The last release of Kerberos from MIT included a "kstream"
library, written by Ken Raeburn, which could be dropped in to an
existing telnet or kermit or other application to provide this kind of
feature.
	There is also Derek Atkins' S.B. Thesis project, which
included modifications to telnet for accessing Kerberos via the remote
host, without having IP access on the client to the KDC (such as on a
dialup or with a firewall or something.) I'm sure he'll announce
something here about how to get the sources, if they're in a
releasable yet.

				_Mark_ <[email protected]>
				MIT Student Information Processing Board
				Cygnus Support <[email protected]>
				Cygnus Network Security

From cypherpunks-request  Thu Jun 10 13:14:32 1993