alt.whistleblowing-cypherpunk FAQ

J. Michael Diehl <[email protected]>
>I just started reading the alt.whistleblowing newsgroup.  It would seem that it
>has already digressed into a flamefest.  Could the person who created it please
>post a set of guidelines for the group!  Also, people are using their REAL
>names!  Appearantly, they don't know anything about the anon remailers....Could
>someone post a notice about that, too?  Same thing goes WRT pgp.  We helped
>create this group, we ought to help keep it worth reading. ;^)

Mr. Diehl:

If you had taken the time to read any significant portion of
alt.whistleblowing traffic, I would imagine you would have stumbled on
messages where I presented an outline/preliminary FAQ and an anonymous
posting described precisely how to use Julf's remailer to send traffic
(which were posted under a week ago).  I take great offense at your
hasty, flippant denigration of it so far as a `flamefest'. While of
course I'm not really associated with alt.whistleblowers at all in the
grand cyberspatial scheme of things, I feel a smidgeon of personal
responsibility for the group.  Are you paying attention? Have you seen
my promises there and on the cypherpunk list to create the FAQ?

So far, IMHO, the traffic has mostly been very high-caliber and even
spectacular. A lady named Karen Lofstrom reported how her boss at a
Hawaii university misused ~$100,000 in funds and work of public
employees on his private company -- from NSA grant money -- starting a
long thread of sympathetic responses (she alluded to this earlier on
sci.crypt I believe but expanded it beautifully in alt.whistleblower).
We have other interesting revelations so far too.  There are messages
pointing out a private `whistleblowing support organization' and how to
contact them.

Your message, upon rereading it, makes me extremely exasperated. It
reconfirms my suspicion that a large part of traffic on this list and
tactics in the Cypherpunk arsenal are to just give lip service to
interesting ideas but leave the messy and laborious detail work to
others. Despite plenty of great fireworks on this list, I have seen no
tangible contributions from others on the whistleblowing project other
than Miron Cuperman's gracious effort to create the group (despite
grandiose reassurances to the contrary), and Julf's immediate support
of it, two individuals who are already highly active and motivated
outside of their cypherpunk involvement.  Furthermore, I've encountered
many extremely frustrating obstructions here.  I've seen great
accomplishments by individuals who call themselves `cypherpunks' but
none by well-orchestrated collections of them.

This is not to discourage positive effort in the future by anyone on
this list on the whistleblower project or anything else. It is to
suggest that the Cypherpunks are so intensely individualistic as to
preclude group projects and large-scale cooperation, and that this is a
serious obstacle to enacting meaningful, critical change on the agenda.
 (Go ahead, flame me and ask what I've done for everyone lately --- I
won't respond. That is not the spirit of my words.)

The statement that makes my blood boil violently is the following:

>We helped
>create this group, we ought to help keep it worth reading. ;^)

How is it that `we' created this group? All I've seen here is
voluminous verbiage (yes, mine included).  I appreciate the call to
arms and cooperation, but I've tried it here before with impoverished,
negligible, and excruciatingly painful results. How long ago did you
join the list? I've already posted ways for cypherpunks to help out on
the whistleblowing newsgroup. The simplest way is to just go there and
post something useful or assimilate existing traffic into something useful.

Mr. Diehl, the following is not a personal request. On behalf of the
hundreds of people who read the cypherpunks list, I humbly ask you (and
remind all other cypherpunks) to put the tiniest greater effort into
your postings to the mailing list that, like all others, take the time
of everyone to sort in their mailbox, and make every effort to direct
messages through personal email where appropriate. I've asked you
before politely in private email to no response, or apparently, effect.
 It is only in the rarest of occasions I will ever put forth such a
request, and an even more unusual case to go public with it. I
appreciated your volunteering to do the email survey but turning around
with the final summary and admitting yourself that you're `too lazy to
tabulate results' I find highly annoying (what is the point?), and I
think does a disservice to the people who took the time to respond
(including myself).

Following is some traffic from the group. Some favorite quotes:

From Greg Welch, who's been extremely helpful in contributing to the
FAQ referring to that private whistleblower agency:

>BTW, you just made me realize that I need to contact them to see if they
>can read (or are already reading) this news group somehow.  Boy, I wish this
>group was around when I was in a similar situation.

Also, from Karen Lofstrom, the NSA grant whistleblower:

>If we can get a number of other whistleblowers posting here, or people
>from organizations that support whistleblowers, perhaps we can create some
>group wisdom about how to blow the whistle _effectively_.  I certainly
>could have used some informed advice when I started.

===cut=here===

From
yuma!csn!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!agate!ames!news.H
awaii.Edu!uhunix3.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu!lofstrom Tue, 8 Jun 1993 03:55:08 GMT