The other Clipper

Just to avert any confusion...

I see (Communications Week, June 7, 1993, pg 1) that the code
name for IBM's soon to be announced ATM (asynchronous
transfer mode) switch happens (?) to be "Clipper."  It's
apparently based on "IBM's experimental Planet switch, a 6
gigabit per second switch that handles both variable and fixed
length packets" and is in test at Rogers Communications in
Toronto.

(Just in case you hear communications types using the term "Clipper"
in a different sense from the one usually seen on this list.)
--
Dr. Tom Keenan, I.S.P.   Associate Dean, R&D, Faculty of Cont. Ed.
University of Calgary   2500 University Dr. NW   Calgary, AB T2N 1N4 CANADA