Re: comments on your recent post of FOIAed documents.

>1) The first document is particularly compelling, especially
>considering the apparant references to the censored paragraph in the
>un-censored paragraph... it makes it obvious that there are two sets
>of reasons for clipper; the ones that they'll admit, and the ones
>which are classified and which they won't admit in public.

I also find it interesting that, while the President directed that the fact
of access to keys by Law Enforcement Officials should not be hidden from the
public, the fact of access to keys by ithe intelligence community (i.e.
FBI/CIA/NSA) was not to be similarly disclosed.

>> In one recent experiment it took three minutes and
>> fourteen seconds to locate a source-code version of DES on the
>> INTERNET.
>
>Hmm.  It only took me under minute when I tried it (using the command
>"archie -s des.tar").  Maybe they tried it when the archie servers
>were overloaded :-), or maybe they counted the time needed to read the
>archie man page..

They probably ran the client at the far end of a 9600-baud straw on a bad
archie day.

>5) What kind of a dork uses words like "incentivized"?

A government dork.

I find it more damning that the government basically bought-off AT&T by
promising them contracts; whatever happened to competetive bid? I find it
highly unlikely that the contracts in question are for clipper-based phones;
we already know the government doesn't plan to use clipper technology
itself, since it can be suborned by LEO types.

Hi, Bill!

Jason "Jazz" Zions