Re: Karn's note...

	From toad.com!cypherpunks-request Thu Jun 24 15:34:07 1993
	Date: Thu, 24 Jun 93 15:32:54 -0700
	From: [email protected] (Phil Karn)
	To: [email protected], [email protected]
	Subject: Re:  Karn's note...

	I tend to doubt that the spooks have voice recognition technology in
	regular widespread use, at least not the kind of ultra sophisticated
	stuff that AI types seem to dream about.  It's possible that they use
	ln.
Much Deleted... \
    Hi Phil...
         All the reports I have seen on the widespread phone tapping and
voice recognition by the NSA allegedly was in reference to Operation HARVEST
According to private estimates immense intel value results even if the
recog phase gets 15-20% accuracy on most? speakers... for
phrases such as Spook, espionage,drugs etc... Most of the references I saw
to HARVEST were published by the Bill of Rights foundation  in various of their
books and phamplets and reports from the Church Subcommittee hearings
on intelligence activities during the earlier abuses of COINTELPRO,
with a few references in "The Puzzle Palace" by Cliff Bamford.
I also saw some refeneces about 5 years ago in comp.dcom.telecom... as
to these kind of operations. Do they really do it??? hmm
dont know but I am not taking any chances!! :)
	Phil