Re: DH for email (re: email protection and privacy)

Phil Karn asks:

> >You're not required to go *beyond* what is specified in a subpoena.
> >But the subpoena's specifications can be pretty broad.
>
> Are you talking civil, criminal, or both?

Mike Godwin replies:

I assume you're asking about civil versus criminal contempt.

Me again:

No, I was actually asking about the differences between subpoenas in
civil and criminal cases. Since the 5th amendment specifically
mentions criminal cases, I presume that means it can't shield you in a
civil case (unless perhaps the same information could also implicate
you in a crime.)

Phil