term for ibm

I needed to do some DOS programming at work, and used
the 'MCOMM' serial package.
It comes with a demonstration program called 'smalterm.exe'
I read through it a few times and it dawned on me how easy
it would be to hook it up to LINK (link encryption).
The problem is that the package is (c) and shareware.  Furthermore
none of the documents say anything about the status of the
demo programs.  I estimate it would take 30 minutes to an
hour to get encryption up and running with that term program.

Does anyone know of a small terminal program that has
a few essential features,  with good modularity?  One that
is publically available or we could use with the authors
blessings?