Re: PGP and offline-readers

According to James Still:

> >> I am getting involved in networking some local BBS' and
> >> message bases.
>
> The unique feature about CryptoBBS is it's "Post Office."  The
> P.O. allows callers to set up a p.o. box from which they can
> up/download any file (pgp encrypted files for instance) to any
> other user on the board without the sysop's approval/knowledge.
> It encourages and nurtures an anonymous "mail drop" community
> while protecting the caller's privacy.

Be carefull!  Remember that you may be held accountable for ANYTHING found on
your BBS.  If someone uses your board to trade credit card numbers..... See ya!

> The question is, should I throw away the virtues of a lean 'n mean
> app at 80K by adding a dolphin or pgp to it that automatically
> encrypts the message base, uploaded messages, etc?  Should
> we give the BBS caller a little credit and assume he knows to
> encrypt at his own machine before uploading the text?  Or is
> the temptation to make everyone *lick and seal their message
> envelopes* too invasive?

Typically, you want to assume that user knows NOTHING!  You design your user-
interface accordingly.....  I know it sounds insulting but if this attitude
makes your stuff easier to use....what do you care?

| J. Michael Diehl ;-)  | I thought I was wrong once. | PGP KEY |
| [email protected] |   But, I was mistaken.      |available|
| [email protected]   |                             | Ask Me! |
+------"I'm just looking for the opportunity to be -------------+
|            Politically Incorrect!"   <Me>                     |
+-----If codes are outlawed, only criminals wil have codes.-----+
+----Is Big Brother in your phone?  If you don't know, ask me---+