Thoughtcrime

(Ed Carp?)

>There are no quasi-legitimate issues surrounding child pornography in the
>United States.  It doesn't matter, legally whether consent was obtained or
>not, etc.  Child pornography is not legal.  To make, sell, possess, distribute,
>or conspire to do any of the above is a crime.

Not quite.  The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals recently threw out the sell,
possess,
and distribute parts of the Child Pornography act on the traditional 1st
Amendment
grounds that retailers can't be punished for failure to examine (and get the
model's age certificates) for every page or every film frame of every item in
their inventory.  Such blanket coverage is vague and overbroad.  Who knows
what the Supremes or other Circuits not located in San Francisco will do but
the state of the law is still fluid.

The question of morphing or animated kiddie porn is an interesting one.  I
haven't read the law so I don't know if they would be arguably covered.  Pure
*text* kiddieporn is legal of course.  Remember all the battles over text
pornography?  Isn't it great that the video/graphics revolution has
eliminated most censorship issues concerning pure text.

* DUNCAN FRISSELL             Attorney at Law, Writer, and Privacy *
* CIS 76630,3577              Consultant since the Nixon           *
* Internet:                   Administration                       *
* [email protected]                                        *
* or [email protected]                                            *
* Easylink 62853962                                                *
* Attmail !dfrissell                                               *
* TLX:  402231 FRISSELL NYK                                        *
*    Privacy Checkup still only $29.95.  Buy today before price    *
*    controls force me to raise my prices.                         *
*     Would you like a debit VISA card from your secret offshore   *
*     bank account.  Let me show you how.                          *