text p.d. cryptosystems for email

this is probably a faq, but pardon me, since this is my first mail to
the cypherpunks list.  the problem is this: i once worked for a
(nameless) finance company that had pseudo-wizard-dorkos for sa's, and
a gravitationally-challenged boss that routinely read employees' (ie.
*my*) personal email.  i knew this because he asked me specific
questions regading the email subjects.  both he and the dorkos
relished this ability and probably got some power trip from it.

to prevent further abuse, i resorted to using crypt and uuencode
when sending personal email to friends.  i found mr. megaton and his
pseudo-wizards complaining about this.  they were having a heck
of a time trying to decrypt my mail, esp. since they could not
easily recognize uuencode output. (hence the pseudo-wizard label).

however, friends told me that (1) crypt is easily compromised, and
(2) not all unix sites have crypt available anyway.  are there
text-based alternates to crypt, such that i don't have to use
uuencode or btoa to mail encrypted text?

as an aside, i bought an account from panix.com in order to further
safeguard my privacy -- at least from those self-appointed netcops at
my previous employer (and my current employer, who i'm pretty sure
wont stoop to that level).  the former employer left me with a lot of
bad feelings towards those in charge of technology.  i now send
sensitive emails and netnews postings through this account (only).

thanks for any reply.

/Rache

# Disclaimer:  My bod, my mind, and yes, my opinions are my own.