Re: Encrypted postings.

From: Chris Claborne <[email protected]>
     Could we send our postings to the mailer in encrypted format?  That
     is... I would encrypt the message with the public key for the mailer,
     the mailer would decrypt and re-post to the clear-text mailer and to
     the PGP group.

You can already do this, in a way.  Just post to the list using one of
the existing encrypted remailers like the one at extropia (or the one
at portal, for that matter).

You need to put:

::
Request-Remailing-To: [email protected]
Subject: <your subject here>

And a blank line at the top of your message, encrypt the whole thing
with the public key of the remailer, and add:

::
Encrypted: PGP

and a blank line to the PGP file just before the "-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----"
line.

There are some scripts on the cypherpunks ftp site (soda.berkeley.edu,
/pub/cypherpunks/remailer) to automate this process.

The one disadvantage with this approach is that the source of the message
(namely, you) gets stripped off.  We might want to think about changing our
remailers to have a non-anonymous remailing command as well as an anonymous
one.  This way you could have "local" privacy from any sysop who snoops on
your mail going out, while still making it easy for people to reply to you.

Hal