PGP Perl scripts for Elm

I have been trying to use the pgp perl scripts for elm, and i must be
doing something very wrong.  Perhaps someone here can help.  I did edit
the scripts to include the location of perl on this machine, and have
specified the scripts as my pager and editor.  This is what happens when i
try them:

Command: Mail                           To: ral (Robert A. Luscombe)
Subject: test
Copies to:
Invoking editor.../u43/ral/.bin/pgpedit: =: not found
/u43/ral/.bin/pgpedit: =: not found
/u43/ral/.bin/pgpedit: =: not found
/u43/ral/.bin/pgpedit: =: not found
/u43/ral/.bin/pgpedit: =: not found
/u43/ral/.bin/pgpedit: =: not found

And when i try to view something:

/u43/ral/.bin/pgppager: $: not found
/u43/ral/.bin/pgppager: =1: not found
/u43/ral/.bin/pgppager: =0: not found
/u43/ral/.bin/pgppager: =: not found
/u43/ral/.bin/pgppager: =/usr/local/bin/less -i -n -s -S -c -M: not found
/u43/ral/.bin/pgppager: syntax error at line 12: `(' unexpected

So, what did i do wrong (or didn't do)?

  Robert Luscombe               ---------
   Internet:                    ---   ---     Home:
   [email protected]               ---------     2201 Sarah Street Apt. 3
   [email protected]   ---------     Pittsburgh, PA 15203-2224
   [email protected]       ---------     412/488-0941
                                ---   ---