Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1993 02:44:12 -0500
From: [email protected] (David Farber)
Subject: WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL is passing away

The massive archive site WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL at White Sands Missile
Range, New Mexico, USA, which is home to more than 2 gigabytes of files
for many computer systems, including MSDOS, Unix, VMS and some mainframes,
will be shut down by its operators as of September 20, 1993.  Unless a new
home is found for the archives, this major archive site will vanish.

This is a major archive and if it is possible to save it, then it should
not be allowed to just disappear. If anyone knows of a site that can house
the master archives, please send a message to

             Keith Petersen <[email protected]>

Mr. Petersen is trying to find a new home for the master archives.  Note
that many of the older files are on CD-ROM, so it is not absolutely
necessary that a site dedicate two GB of disk space, as perhaps 3/4 of
this is on CDs, so the option would be to loan perhaps 4 CD slots in
an optical jukebox, along with perhaps 500 meg of disk space.

Please pass this message to any list that might find it of interest.
Thank you.

- ---
Paul Robinson -- [email protected]

------- End of Forwarded Message