NSA SAYS: NO LIMIT ON ENCRYPTION

From EFF Online V 5. No 14 8/5/93, official response on EFF Clipper
questions--a MINDBOGGLER!

>Because these measures may be
>sufficient to make key escrow encryption the easiest and most available
>privacy protection it would be imprudent to pursue the far more drastic
>step of regulating private encryption.

`drastic'? `imprudent'? this from the NSA?

>The Administration has progressed
>far enough in its review to conclude it will not propose new legislation to
>limit use of encryption technology.

GOOD LORD! HALLELUJA! VICTORY!

(Is that a typo?! Did they mean `not far enough'? That's what I
*thought* they said at first!)
(uh, if this is right, can we get that in writing? with D. Denning's signature?)

BTW, This paragraph is almost incoherent and has another typo. Did NSA
have a hangover when they wrote this? Or were they drunk?

* * *

Other notes:

>Enhancing the government's ability to decrypt non-key escrow encryption
>used by the targets of authorized law enforcement wiretaps is another
>possible strategy for coping with the effects of encryption on law
>enforcement.  However, since encryption appears in a number of forms and
>applications, the costs are likely to be substantial and may not be either
>affordable or practical given the requirement for "real time" decryption in
>the course of wiretap operations.

This is the `give the NSA more money for research' argument, and is
infeasible not solely because of `a number of forms of encryption and
applications' but because of the underlying *security* of the emerging schemes.

Also in this they specifically address the question of whether Key
Escrow is legal within constitutional rights. Here they are so bold as
to suggest the 4th amendment is *strengthened* because only `legally
lawfully authorized' (their three most favorite words) taps can be
installed. Interesting, I wonder how our esteemed forefathers would
react to this unique interpretation of their masterpiece.

But as long as Skipjack is voluntary this begs the question. The
fundamental question: is *mandatory* or *restricted* use unconstitutional?

Also, we have the first official written admission that `criminals' may
turn to other schemes or `double encrypt' (i.e. encrypt the data into the system).

===cut=here===