Re: [uk.transport] Speed Camera with OCR

> From: [email protected]

> I have just seen an item on the the BBC South East News about a new
> speed trap in Kent. Apparently the radar clocks your speed, a TV camera
> records your number plate & then a real time OCR system picks out the
> actual number & flashes it up on a digital display a short distance
> further up the road. The idea is to embarrass drivers by letting them
> & others see their speed & registration. I don't know what type of
> equipment they are using, but it sounds like a really neat trick.
> The ability to read a car's plate & decypher the number in real time
> without any human intervention must take a bit of work. Has anybody
> heard how reliable this system really is ?

Hmmm...most drivers I've known would be thrilled to get off with just
"embarrassment."  In fact, they'd probably be proud to have it broadcast
to everyone else on the road (except the lawmen, naturally) that they'd
just been clocked at 110 MPH or whatever.  But somehow, I doubt that this
data is used only for embarrassment, don't you?

   --Dave.