CRM (again)

(Note:  this was sent through a remailer, and the return address is
inaccurate.  My address is [email protected].)

| I'm not saying that CRM actually uses a command language (it can't--
| nothing has been agreed upon/worked out yet!) but tools like CRM
| would be able to use a remailer command language to tailor the
| message's (or anonymous address block's) anonymity protection.
| See that same long, boring post I made about a few suggestions
| for what such a language could contain/be useful with.

CRM doesn't do anything grandiose.  All it does is pick a random path of a
specified length from a list of remailers, and wrap up an input file with
remailing requests, encrypted PGP tags, and nested PGP encryptions.

For example, if you start out with a file like:

- -+---snip-----
Subject:  Just a test...

I'm going to wrap up this file with CRM and make a /bin/sh script that
will mail it to myself through a chain of remailers.

- -+---snip-----

and do one of these:

c:\>crm infile [email protected]

you'll end up (with no further intervention on your part) with the /bin/sh
script that's at the end of this post.

If you run that script, it will mail the above short note to me through a
chain of three remailers.  Each of the remailers gets PGP encrypted input.
The subject line will show up as the subject on my mailer.  (Please don't run
the script;  my mailbox is full enough already.)

The reason I had CRM wrap the final output in a script is that because the
chain of remailers is random, the first remailer in the chain varies each time
CRM is invoked.  This way you don't have to worry about keeping track which
one to mail the cyphertext to.

This is obviously more of a hassle than using elm to send your mail;  but if
you're already writing letters offline and uploading them (which you ought to
be doing anyway, to take full advantage of PGP's protection), it's only
marginally more difficult than mailing stuff without the remailers.  And it
could be argued that it's *easier* to use CRM and the remailers than standard
mailing, because the shell script keeps track of the subject lines and the
destination for you.  You could write ten letters, wrap them with CRM, keep
concatenating the new scripts onto a outgoing mail file, then upload the whole
thing at once and mail it in one fell swoop.

If you want a copy of CRM, let me know.  (Write to [email protected], not
the return address on this post).  It's an msdos program, written in turbo
pascal.

- -+---snip-----
#!/bin/sh
#
# This is a shell script produced by CRM.
#
sed -e '/^BEGINCRM/d' -e '/^ENDCRM/d' << \End_of_File > crm.tmp
BEGINCRM
::
Encrypted: PGP

- -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.3a
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=42WF
- -----END PGP MESSAGE-----
ENDCRM
End_of_File
mail [email protected] < crm.tmp
rm crm.tmp

- -+
Alex Strasheim | [email protected] | PGP public key available via finger